Living with significant others: Just say no

taylor2.jpg
Taylor Sinclair Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Those of us who have been in a committed relationship for a certain amount of time are eventually faced with the question: Should we live together?

At first, you would think it is a great idea. You would get to see each other constantly, date night would be every night and of course the unlimited sex opportunities.

I’ve been dating my boyfriend for almost two years and I would personally choose not to live with him at this point in our lives for many reasons.

First off, we have the rest of our lives to live with our significant other if it is meant to be that way. However, being in college, there is no need to rush into such a big commitment.

College is the time to live with your best friends who will accompany you through all the crazy college adventures, including going out every weekend night and staying up till the break of dawn, running around the neighborhood for no particular reason. Those are the memories that will be cherished, not nights spent at home watching yet another movie with your boyfriend or girlfriend.

We all know that living with roommates has its ups and downs. This may include getting in fights about anything from finances to who took the trash out last. But living with a significant other could also have those same challenges.

Arguing with roommates is one thing, but fighting with a boyfriend or girlfriend is another. Fighting could possibly end the relationship or just cause awkward tension between the two of you. Living in the same quadrant would make matters worse. There wouldn’t be that space that both of you would need after a big fight.

Then there is the question that always enters the mind after a big fight: What if we break up?

Most apartment and house leases are not monthly. If breaking up with your significant other is the only solution to the problem, what happens next with your living arrangements? Who moves out? How do you split up furniture? These all are questions worth considering.

The financial aspect could also cause problems depending on how bills were split up, if they were split up at all. Finances are something most couples will eventually fight over.

Before deciding to move in with your lover, ask yourself this: What are our long-term reasons for living together? Are we really in love? These may seem like silly questions, but the answers may help you not make a huge mistake.

I personally would not live with my boyfriend right now in the chance of jeopardizing our strong relationship. We are still able to do everything we want to, without the complications of living together.

Taylor Sinclair can be reached at [email protected] or @TaySinclair17 on Twitter.