Newest food trends for 2015

Grace Kerfoot

IMG_7457GraceKerfootFeatures.jpg

Grace Kerfoot Photo credit: John Domogma

As a core part of our human culture, food has become incredibly important in our social lives. It’s a statement. It reflects our political values, our nutritional beliefs and even our economic status. Food is also a representation of our creativity and our ardent, yet explorative flavor preferences.

I suppose that is why there are food trends. We pine for the new and pleasure ourselves with the idea of buying and eating the next best thing.

Food also provides us with experience. Food innovations provide us with an opportunity to taste new flavor combinations, push culinary boundaries and rekindle warm feelings of nostalgia. The wave of French cuisine took our imaginations to small Parisian cafes, macaroni and cheese made us think of our childhood and kale chips made us feel just too darn good about ourselves.

The unfortunate part about food trends is that people go overboard. And then we are stuck with ice-cream-filled cronuts and bacon-flavored ice cream. It’s simply too much.

People get bored. Foods that were perfectly good become perfectly repulsive. It’s a shame to see a creative idea abused to such an extent.

By the end of the year we are exhausted and ready for change. And the cycle begins all over again.

So what can you expect to see more of in 2015?

Fermented everything: If you are already on the bandwagon of Greek yogurt and Kombucha prepare to broaden your horizons. This year probiotic propaganda is predicted to be everywhere as we explore other fermented foods such as kimchee, sauerkraut and miso.

Fat: Can I just say how happy I am that people are finally realizing that food is flavorless without fat? Butter is finally back, and even more so is its close relative ghee. (However if you really want to be trendy, make sure it’s a grass-fed and cultured variety). Coconut oil is still in from last year so don’t worry if you are still working through your Costco-sized tub. Finally, lard is making an appealing reappearance as well.

Cannabis cuisine: While California won’t be seeing pot replace the spinach in our smoothies, be prepared to hear about it happening in other states. It is an herb after all.

Touch screen ordering: Tablets will probably be something you’ll face while trying to get food. Let’s hope you can navigate a touch screen.

So does all this mean that we have to say goodbye to the cronut or any other enjoyable food trends from yesteryear? I say absolutely not. If it tastes good, why stop eating it?

Let’s take 2015 with a grain of salt. Try new food, but eat what you love. Regardless of how trendy it is.

Grace Kerfoot can be reached at [email protected] or @gracekerf on Twitter.