• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

The cost of graduation? Another university fee

joe1.jpg
Illustration by Miles Huffman

Spring is in the air and commencement is right around the corner. As a graduating senior, I was looking forward to it.

There was another little shock waiting for me when I went to file for graduation: a fee of $48 if filing on time (one year out) or an additional $10 fee if filing late.

According to my Student Center, my estimated yearly cost of attendance is a little over $22,000 with $7,002 of that for fees paid to the university.

Maybe the struggle of getting through classes warped my head. Maybe the freakout I had when I checked my Degree Progress Report to find that it showed I was not on track for graduation this spring did the same.

At the end of the trip called education there’s a mandatory exit fee? What has that $7,000 a year been paying for then?

Do we contract with some outside agency to perform degree checks? No. There shouldn’t be a need for another fee, no matter how small, for something students have already been paying for.

I suppose Chico State students can at least take comfort in one thing: Our fee is lower than both Sacramento State and Humboldt State’s.

Joseph Rogers can be reached at [email protected] or @JosephLRogers1 on Twitter.