University police hosts first “Cookies with the Cops,” makes campus safety priority

Suzy Leamon

IMG_9610.JPG

John Feeney, Chief of university police, hosted the first “Cookies with the Cops” meeting at Sutter Hall, Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Chief Feeney, Sgt. Brian Farrell and Officer Marc Reed, spoke to 22 students about what University Police hopes to achieve for Chico State this year.

Among topics discussed were self-policing, the transient population, bike theft and building a strong relationship between law enforcement and students.

“Students are our number one priority,” Feeney said. “We want you guys to know that we are always available for help no matter what.”

He encourages students to register their bikes, always look out for each other and be attentive of females walking alone at night.

University Police is prioritizing campus safety in an effort to maintain a safe and focused learning environment for students.

Feeney plans to host a separate meeting of “Cookies with the Cops” for each dorm on campus. Meetings for non residents will be held at the BMU.

“We want to provide you guys with the safest campus possible,” Feeney said. “The best way of achieving that is all of us working together.”

Susan Leamon can be reached at [email protected] or @susanleamon on Twitter.