Cyclists, skateboarders show lack of respect for law

Illustration by Trevor Moore Photo credit: Trevor Moore

On a typical day here at Chico State you will undoubtably see a skateboarder or biker speeding through campus as if clockwork. But to one’s surprise, it is actually illegal to ride your bike or skateboard on campus.

Some students despise the skaters and bikers and think the campus police need to be more proactive in enforcing this rule. Others, like myself, believe the rule is outdated and needs to be changed.

Safety is an obvious concern when it comes to bikes and skateboards on campus. Having bikes swerve through students during busy hours of the day is just asking for an accident to happen. But still, students disregard the safety of other students and even the law.

I personally have seen multiple accidents on campus in my four years here. I’ve seen bikers run into pedestrians, skaters run into bikers and every combination in between. Usually no major injuries occur, but it’s only a matter of time until the luck runs up and someone gets seriously injured or even killed.

One way to slow this issue down would be for campus police to heavily enforce the rule by patrolling campus during peak times and writing tickets without exceptions. Right now, campus police are way too lenient.

Once I was riding my board on campus and I was approached by an officer who politely asked me to walk the board, which I did. But it didn’t deter me from riding it later on that week because I didn’t think I would be ticketed. If officers wrote tickets without giving warnings first, the message might stick with the student.

The more logical and cost-efficient solution would be to instate a bike path on campus. If there were a designated area where bikers and skateboarders could ride at their own risk, then pedestrians would generally feel safer knowing a bike isn’t going to come jetting directly toward them. Having a separate lane would also decrease the risk of Chico State getting caught in a lawsuit by an injured patron, since the bike lane would warn riders to ride at their own risk.

I imagine the bike path running through the main part of campus where club and Greek life members set up tables, then it would run along the asphalt path in front of Holt Hall and end in the street leading to Modoc Hall.

A bike lane like this would be beneficial for all. It could lower the time it takes for students to get from class to class, increase the safety of riders and pedestrians, allow police to handle more important issues and serve as an incentive for students to life a healthier lifestyle by encouraging them to ride to school instead of drive.

Nick Bragg can be reached at [email protected] or @Nick981 on Twitter.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Cyclists, skateboarders show lack of respect for law”

1. diesel on December 9th, 2015 6:22 am

wait… so your upset that you didnt get a ticket?! and you also admit to commiting the very act you are preaching against?!

these inconsistencies take away a lot of credibility.from your argument. your article also would have benefited from an interview from the campus PD, they seem eager to answer any questions. Im sure they would disagree that they are lenient as that has not been my experience in seeing them deal with bikers at all.

2. Nick Bragg on October 2nd, 2016 12:07 pm

I think you missed the point of my argument. I clearly stated that if an officer had given me a ticket I would of been more inclinded to stop riding. Also stated in my argument, I believe the best solution to the problem is to have a bike lane on campus. Have a great day !

3. Wanda Redman on December 18th, 2015 12:57 pm

I read this article a couple of times and wondered if the officer that “politely” asked you to not to ride your skateboard read it too. If the officer read it, I’m sure that the officer wishes they had written you a citation instead of giving you a warning. A citation, from what I understand can come with a penalty/fine close to $200.00. Be careful for what you ask for! Those officers may take your advice and forget about giving warnings and if they do, I hope you’re the first one to get a ticket for riding on campus. Enjoy your winter break!

4. Nick Bragg on October 2nd, 2016 12:12 pm

Aw, thank you so much for the kind words! If only we had a bike lane on campus, then the UPD could use their time in a more efficient way. Cheers Wanda. Have a great Thankgiving!

• Cyclists, skateboarders show lack of respect for law

Sushi burritos: Delicious or disgusting?

Seven reasons why your friend might be the real snake

Sex workers deserve to be treated like human beings

Off the Record: sex workers and sensitive language

Our future is dependent on informed voting

Nike, a force to be reckoned with

DTF with protection?