Harlen Adams Theatre decks the halls

The

The "Glorious Sounds of the Season" was glorious this year at Harlan Adams Theatre. Photo credit: School of the Arts.

gsounds15.jpg

For those not yet in the holiday spirit, there was no better way than to celebrate with the music and theater department at its scholarship fundraiser. This year’s “Glorious Sounds of the Season” included many talented performers such as the wind ensemble, a cappella choir, chamber singers, Jazz X-Press, centennial organ and many more.

The Harlen Adams Theatre decked its halls with lights and wreaths. Snowflakes glimmered along the walls near the audience.

The performance opened with multiple audience sing-alongs that were led by the Choral Union and The Wind Ensemble. “White Christmas” and “Jingle Bells” rang out through the audience with pride.

Not only were performers playing onstage, they also scattered throughout the walkways. There would be an astonishing performance on the stage, then immediately after they finished, the lights would shift to the left backside of the theater and another song would be played. They kept the audience on their toes the whole time.

Each performance was unique. Some people told Christmas stories while others danced and sang in their pajamas. Some played the xylophone in Christmas sweaters and silly hats, while others wore fancy suits.

“‘Twas the night before Christmas” was read by Matty Miller in front of a flock of young children in their robes, as if they were snuggled in their living room. To add a more dramatic effect to this nighttime story, The Wind Ensemble played lightly in the background.

A stunning solo of “French Noel” (with some variations) was played by David Rothe on the flentrop organ. Lights glistened on the wood of the organ as he was illuminated in the corner of the theater. These Christmas tunes swirled around the audience members and wrapped them in cheer.

“Glorious Sounds of the Seasons,” is perfect for all ages. There was a wide variety of performances that could easily entertain almost anybody. The Christmas spirit is out roaming the streets of Chico and was let loose all because of this weekend’s performances by Chico’s music and theatre department.

Dana Muensterman can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.