California Faculty Association wears red to symbolize potential strike

From left to right: CFA Field Representative Jason Conwell,  Professor Tim Sistrunk, and Counselor Mimi Bommersbach discuss the best way to hand out fliers to students.  About reaching out to students Sistrunk said,

From left to right: CFA Field Representative Jason Conwell, Professor Tim Sistrunk, and Counselor Mimi Bommersbach discuss the best way to hand out fliers to students. About reaching out to students Sistrunk said, "Specific student organizations are becoming active and trying to support their faculty, because they realize the connection between our faculty work life and students' education life."

All around campus professors and other faculty are wearing red and handing out fliers to show support for their peers and bring awareness to students. The California Faculty Association is seeking student support to help them get better wages before they are forced to go on strike.

Ryan Corrall can be reached at [email protected] or @CorrallRyan on Twitter.

• Tim Sistrunk, a Chico State history professor and CFA representative, spoke of faculty's need for an increase in pay: "Our salaries have been pretty stagnant for about 10 years. If you're going to have higher education for people, you need to adequately support the staff."

• CFA Field Representative, Jason Conwell, hands out fliers to students that inform them on why and how they can get involved with the CFA's efforts.

• Alumni Marcos Zepeda hands out fliers to students in an effort to support the faculty.

• Kinesiology Professor and 20-year CFA member Cathrine Himberg, instructs her students at the beginning of her Yoga class while wearing her red CFA shirt.

• About getting support for the CFA, Himberg said, "I know one thing after being here for 20 years. There's only one thing the administration listens to, one group, and that's students. Students and their parents. If Students went home to their parents and said 'enough is enough our faculty members are overloaded and underpaid we need to support them'. If it came from that end, I think the administration would turn around."

• Philosophy Professor and 3-year CFA member Susanna Boxall engages her students through in-class discussion, while showing her faculty support with the red CFA shirt.

• When asked about why students should get involved Boxall said, "As student fees have gone up, faculty pay has gone down or remained stagnant. So, I think the first thing is the realization that students and faculty are in this together and that when faculty are fighting for better working conditions, we are fighting for better learning conditions for students."

• From left to right: CFA Field Representative Jason Conwell, Professor Tim Sistrunk, and Counselor Mimi Bommersbach discuss the best way to hand out fliers to students. About reaching out to students Sistrunk said, "Specific student organizations are becoming active and trying to support their faculty, because they realize the connection between our faculty work life and students' education life."