Baseball sweeps weekend series

Junior Stuart Bradley warms up before an inning against Menlo College on Jan. 30. Photo credit: Jacob Auby

The Chico State baseball team beat the Menlo College Oaks 12-11 in 10 innings, then again 8-1 in the second game of a double header on Jan. 31 in Chico.

The weekend sweep puts the team at 3-0 to start its season.

Game 1: The Oaks came out swinging early in this one, scoring twice in the first inning, and then five times in the second. They quickly chased starting pitcher, junior Steven Baker, out of the game.

The Wildcats would chip away at the 7-1 deficit with runs in the bottom of the third, fourth and fifth.

Down 10-4, RBI hits from sophomore third basemen Cameron Santos and junior DH Dillon Kelley brought the game within four. It was in the eighth inning when the real heroics started.

With the bases loaded, senior first basemen Ben Gamba was hit by a pitch to bring in a run and cut the lead to just three. Junior outfielder Josh Falco then hit a bases clearing double to tie the game at 10 runs a piece.

The momentum shifted in the top of the 9th when Menlo College took a one run lead on a Wildcat error. The ‘Cats would be able to scratch across a run to tie the game and send it into extra innings.

After holding the Oaks scoreless in the top of the 10th, Chico State would win the game on a walk-off fielders choice delivered by Kelley to win their second game in a row in walk-off fashion.

Top Performers:

Santos: 4 for 4, 4 runs, 2 RBIs

Junior outfielder Sonny Cortez: 3 for 5, 4 runs

Falco: 2 for 5, 2 RBIs

Senior pitcher: Andy Burschinger 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER

Bennett2WEB.jpg
Junior shortstop Casey Bennett shows the umpire the ball after tagging out the Menlo College runner on Jan. 30. Photo credit: Jacob Auby

Game 2: After two close games, the final game of the series would be all Wildcats.

The score was tied at one after four innings when the Chico State offense would explode for seven runs. Scoring four in the fifth, and three in the sixth, the team took a comfortable lead and cruised to their third win of the season.

Top Performers:

Santos: 2 for 5, 2 runs, 1 RBI

Kelley: 1 for 2, 2 RBIs

Junior outfielder Cody Snider: 1 for 2, 2 RBIs

Junior pitcher Dalton Erb: 5 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 6 K’s

The Wildcats will take on Point Loma University next on Feb. 5 at home, the start of a three game series.

Nick Martinez-Esquibel can be reached at [email protected] or @THENickMartinez on Twitter.