Women’s basketball team rebounds in dominant fashion

Freshman Irie Stokes defends against an attacking defender. Photo credit: Jordan Olesen

Gabriella Bermudez

The Chico State women’s basketball team controlled the court against the Cal State Monterey Bay Otters both in rebounds and free throw percentage leading them to a victory of 60-36 on Feb. 6.

The win brought the women’s team to a conference record of 5-9 and an overall record of 10-10.

First Quarter:

Chico State came out of the gates strong, holding the lead throughout the entire first quarter, with a score of 18-8 by the end.

At the end of the first quarter, the ‘Cats had 13 rebounds, compared to Cal State Monterey Bay’s 12.

Second Quarter:

Chico State continued to hold their lead over Monterey Bay going into the second quarter. At the end of the first half the ‘Cats held a lead of 17 with a score of 31-14.

The Wildcats shot 78 percent from the free throw line, compared to Cal State Monterey Bay’s 50 percent.

BranhamWEB.jpg

Sophomore Whitney Branham beats her opponents down the floor for an easy lay-up. Photo credit: Cam Lesslie

Third Quarter:

Going into the third quarter, the ‘Cats continued to hold their lead over the Otters, never allowing them to pull ahead or even tie. Chico State led 44-21 at the end of the quarter.

Chico State continued to lead the charge in rebounds. The ‘Cats had 38 rebounds, compared to Cal State Monterey Bay’s 27.

Fourth Quarter:

The Wildcats held the lead against Cal State Monterey Bay leading them to a final victory of 60-36.

At the end of the game Chico State held a field goal percentage of 38, compared to Cal State Monterey Bay’s 21.

Top Scorers:

Sophomore Haley Cremen: 13 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist

First-year McKena Barker: 8 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block

Senior Brooke Bowen: 8 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals

The ‘Cats next hit the court in La Jolla, CA, facing UC San Diego on Feb. 12. at 5:30 p.m.

Gabriella Bermudez can be reached at [email protected] or @gabbybermudez2 on Twitter.