• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

Women’s basketball team loses to Humboldt State

Sophomore Whitney Branham dribbles around her opponent in a game against Cal State Stanislaus. Photo credit: Jordan Olesen

The Chico State women’s basketball team continues to struggle through the CCAA conference this season. The ‘Cats lost their second consecutive CCAA conference game against the Humboldt State Jacks 67-73 on Feb. 20 at home.

The loss drops the team’s conference record to 5-13, and its overall season record to 10-14.

First Quarter:

Both teams started the game strong with the lead getting passed back and forth between the ‘Cats and the Jacks. Chico State held their largest lead of the game in the first quarter with nine. At the end of the first quarter however, Humboldt led 18-21.

Second Quarter:

As the game progressed Chico State began to fall further behind on the score board. Despite tying the score up once in the second quarter, at the end of the half the score stood at 32-42, Humboldt leading. Humboldt continued to control the rebounding battle with 21, compared to Chico’s 15.

WRecap2WEB.jpg
Junior Tyler Prange takes a 3-point shot against Cal State East Bay. Photo credit: Carlos Islas

Third Quarter:

The ‘Cats fought to try and gain the lead by completing two 3-point shots in the quarter. However, Humboldt State held their biggest lead of 15 over Chico State in the third quarter resulting in a final score of 48-61. Despite the score board, Chico State held the greater field goal shooting percentage with 40, compared to Humboldt State’s 36.5.

Fourth Quarter:

By the end of the game the Wildcats failed in gaining back the lead, resulting in a final loss of 73-67 against the Jacks. Chico State won the rebounding battle with 38, compared to Humboldt State’s 34. Chico State also won in field goal shooting percentage with 43, compared to Humboldt State’s 38.

Key Players:

Whitney Branham: 20 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 4 steals

Natalie Valenzuela: 12 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 blocks, 1 steal

McKena Barker: 8 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal

The Chico State women’s basketball team will next hit the court on Feb. 25, against Cal State Dominguez Hills at home in Acker Gym at 5:30 p.m.

Gabriella Bermudez can be reached at [email protected] or @gabbybermudez2 on Twitter.