In search of the best burrito in Chico

With the busy schedule of being student on the go, cooking at home is always a chore after a long day on campus. Fortunately, Chico is a town teeming with taco trucks where you don’t have to travel far to find quality Mexican food—especially a good burrito to consume on the way to or from class.

Here is a list of some of my favorite (the best) supreme burritos close to campus with a price range of around $5.

1. Coming in first, located on the intersection of Pine and 9th Street, Gordo Burrito brings the perfect mixture of meat, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and rice and beans to each bite. The wait time isn’t long if you manage to find times in between the long lunch lines. It’s still worth it for one of the best quality burritos both in flavor and size on the east side of the Esplanade.

Gordo Burrito
Burrito from Gordo Burrito located on Pine and 9th street. Photo credit: Matthew Manfredi

2. Take your pick from authentic meats including carnitas, asada, al pastor and lengua to put into one of the biggest burritos on Nord. Second up, ringing in at a flat $5, Tacos Ramirez isn’t shy when it comes to serving the freshest and spiciest ingredients in a flour tortilla. Open for breakfast burritos in the morning, this taco truck at 409 Nord Ave. (in the parking lot of Nord Avenue Market), stays open until 10:30 p.m. for those late night burrito cravings.

Tacos Ramirez Supreme Burrito
Burrito from Tacos Ramirez Supreme Burrito. Photo credit: Matthew Manfredi

3. My third choice, nestled a bit further away from campus on the corner of Park Avenue and East 20th Street, is Jalapeño City bringing the heat with their classic take on burrito supremacy. With a bit of lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and a big kick of hot salsa some of the most authentic Mexican flavors found in Chico were created.

JC(web).jpg

“The messiness factor comes into place. If it destroys your face, you know it’s going to be good,” Meagan Cline, a Butte College student, said.

Meagan(web).jpg

4. Fiesta Taco, coming in fourth and found very close to campus on the intersection of West Sacramento and Nord Avenue, in the parking lot of Star Liquor, has an abundance of lettuce and sour cream (hence being found later down the list) surrounding greatly seasoned beef or chicken. Though I would like to have more of this in the burrito, this taco truck makes a great pit stop on the way to class.

Fiesta Taco Supreme Burrito
Supreme burrito from Fiesta Taco. Photo credit: Matthew Manfredi

“I’m from Southern Calfornia so I have a bias when it comes to Mexican food,” Lauren Day said. “But Chico has some really good taco trucks.”

Lauren(web).jpg

5. Finally, at the bottom of the list is Tacos El Paisa. For a different, more traditional palate, their take on the tortilla tube strays away from the classic sour cream and guacamole you would normally find in a supreme burrito. With a more tomato-based feel and taste, Tacos El Paisa brings the grease and goodness together for a unique take on mobile Mexican food.

Tacos El Paisa Burrito
Burrito from Tacos El Paisa Burrito. Photo credit: Matthew Manfredi

Burrito Infographic

Matthew Manfredi can be reached at [email protected] or @matthewmanfredi on Twitter.