Sexual education forgets masturbation

Photo credit: Katia Berg

Sex is a prevalent topic as soon as puberty hits. However, fulfilling sexual desires on your own through masturbation is rarely discussed.

Self-exploration through masturbation has the potential to reduce teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, along with a handful of other health benefits, according to the Sexual Information and Education Council of the United States.

Sexual education in public schools doesn’t usually appear until about middle school, where they don’t actually discuss sex. Instead, teachers show horrifying visuals of genital warts and herpes in attempts to scare students away from sex altogether, which just doesn’t work.

In high school, classes or teachers might highly recommend abstinence, by saying it’s the only 100% effective pregnancy prevention. With MTV shows like Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant, it would be a lot more realistic and potentially beneficial if condoms were handed out and students were taught how to use them instead.

In California, comprehensive sexual education isn’t even required to be taught. More kids end up learning their sex-ed from word of mouth by other kids out on the playground, older siblings or the unrealistic expectations of porn.

Going through puberty is one of the reasons girls and boys have sex at such young ages. Feelings for that nerdy friend completely changed after they grew a full mustache and chest hair, or a nice rack and wide hips.

This sexual tension, of course, is natural, but being new to young kids they don’t realize these feelings don’t always have to be acted on.

The lack of proper knowledge of sex not only leads to irresponsible and unsafe but even unsatisfying sex.

Masturbating by yourself might save you from that “Is it in, yet? Can you feel it?” not-so-romantic-dirty talk. If female masturbation was a norm like male ejaculation is, finding which hole to stick it in wouldn’t be such an issue.

Starting off with exploring individuals’ own bodies first, would also allow for personal sexual interests to be discovered for a more pleasurable time with future partners.

Despite what young people may believe, a study by the National Institute of Health has shown that sex gets better with age, a type of “sexual wisdom.”

Scientifically, sex is for reproduction. But if baby making isn’t a current goal, then sex should at least be a pleasurable experience.

Pleasure from sex is different for everyone. Discovering what gets you off starts with yourself.

People who are uninformed about sex risk having damaged relationships in the future, according to the Journal of Family Psychology. Since sex is going to be a significant part of young people’s lives, it is better to educate students early about what sex actually is, instead of scaring them with pictures that they don’t understand.

Students who haven’t learned adequate sex ed are at an extreme disadvantage at college since hooking up has become part of college culture. Without proper experience or knowledge, this can also lead to STDs and pregnancy scares if the proper precautions aren’t taken.

Masturbation is an alternative aspect of sex that could keep students healthier and happier in life. It shouldn’t be seen as a dirty topic and should be properly taught through sexual education in schools to better educate students.

Sophia Robledo can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.