Smashing weight and donating cans

A couple club members table for their event. Photo courtesy of the Chico State Barbell Club

Mathew Miranda

The Chico Barbell Club will host a bench press competition to bring awareness to powerlifting and offer support to the Hungry Wildcat Food Pantry. The event is open to all Chico State students and there are no requirements needed to sign up. Participants are encouraged to bring at least one can of food to be eligible for prizes.

Club President Noah Ash, spoke on behalf of the club’s reasoning behind supporting the food program.

“College students that don’t have money for food is a real thing. Sometimes people must make the choice between buying a textbook and eating. We are just trying to do our part to better the campus because that’s what clubs are there for.”

Although collecting canned food is the club’s priority, they also want to bring awareness to a newly emerging sport. Powerlifting is a strength sport consisting of three lifts: squat, bench, and deadlift.

The competition will be held at the Wildcat Recreation Center on September 22 at 3 p.m. and will follow the same guidelines as a normal powerlifting meet, with the exception of only performing one lift. The top 3 male and female winners will be determined by the Wilkes Coefficient, which uses a formula based on body weight and actual weight lifted.

To sign up students can find a link on the Chico Barbell Club Facebook page or attend a club meeting September 12 at 6 p.m. in Yolo Hall 178. Moreover, the club will be tabling in front Plumas Hall on September 13 and 14 from 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Ash encourages anyone who enjoys lifting or is looking for a new experience to sign up.

“It’s a really good opportunity to support each other and make sure everyone accomplishes their goal so the environment is more supportive rather than competitive despite it being a competition.”

Mathew Miranda can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.