Letters to: A future Wildcat

Dear future Wildcat,

Getting through college can be hard no matter what your circumstances are. You’ll wonder whether you’ve made the right decision, but you did.

When first getting to college, the first thing you’ll want to do is make friends because college can be a very lonely experience. However, you’ll learn that the first friends you make are friends of convenience. These are the ones met in the dorms and in classes.

There are many clubs and organizations you can join on campus. Getting involved is a great way to meet people who share your interests, or better yet, people who you would never think of talking to.

It may be overwhelming to try new things, but that’s what college is about. It’s about getting out of your comfort zone.

You’ll be expected to do everything, you’ll feel overwhelmed by schoolwork and other commitments. On top of that, the pressure to do your best is difficult to keep up with.

If you’re unhappy, experiencing anxiety, depression or other stress-related problems don’t be afraid to visit the Counseling & Wellness Center. This is a great place to get the support to resolve personal conflicts and problems. Plus it’s free!

If you’re not in need of counseling, but you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed and need a space to recharge, the Zen Den is a great alternative. The Zen Den provides a dim space with hammocks, bean bag and massage chairs for students and faculty members.

There’s also the Wildcat Recreation Center if you like to exercise. Those who go to the gym see improvements in mood and reductions in anxiety, according to studies by the Mayo Clinic.

As a college student, you’ll need to be proactive with your education. You need to ask your professors for help if you don’t understand the material.

However, if you spend a lecture class talking with classmates in the back row or texting, don’t think you can show up during office hours to find out what you missed.

You’ll also be surprised to know that professors enjoy getting to know their students.

Part of being a college student is networking with your professors because they’re connected to their field and might know of jobs and internships. Many will even write a letter of recommendation for you when you’re applying for a job or internship.

College is an enriching experience. Beyond the academic benefits, you’ll develop skills that will help you gain confidence and a sense of self-worth.

Study hard, get involved, take care of yourself, ask for help when you need it and have fun. You’ll find your place on campus. It’s just a matter of time before you feel connected to Chico State.

From,

A Wildcat.

Guillermo Felix-Alvor can be reached at [email protected] or @FelixAlvor on Twitter.