Newspapers bring communities together

Photo credit: Jaime Munoz

Photo credit: Jaime Munoz

Karen Limones

Let’s get one thing clear, this is not a pathetic attempt to try to get people to pick up a newspaper. This is to state why students should read one and how it’s beneficial to keep the print industry around.

Believe it or not, one of the best resources to get information about the campus and community life is through news sources.

According to Statista, as of 2015, five billion people read newspapers and 4 percent of media’s total revenue was generated through digital media sales. Figures show that the global news industry is shifting toward digital platforms. The tangible newspaper industry’s revenue is expected to decline by 3 percent annually between 2015 and 2020 while digital is expected to grow by 9.8 percent.

We have all heard it before, the comments about how the newspaper industry has “gone down the drain.” It’s true that several newspapers are losing daily readers. This is a big modification for reporters who are in the process of transitioning from print to digital.

This should not drive people away from print media. In fact, it’s necessary for the public to read a newspaper because it provides people who don’t have access to the internet everyday to information on what’s happening in their city or town within a short number of pages.

Here are some reasons why newspapers are worth keeping.

Learn the truth

While anyone can write an article or blog, there isn’t as much significance to it as an article published and edited by a reputable news organization. Reporters are committed to seeking news worthy events, gathering information and reporting the truth. News editors are trained to edit, organize and present the information to the public.

See what really matters

The paper has a limited number of pages. Therefore, it’s crucial for reporters to provide the public with stories that have value. According to Information Maven, these stories become more valuable to read than the millions of things that could be consumed in the endless, undifferentiated space of the internet.

“It’s amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper,” said Jerry Seinfield, a comedian.

There’s something for everyone

One great thing about newspapers is that they don’t just provide the political or economical news, there are other sections such as sports, opinion, entertainment, arts and more. Although this can also be found online, it still provides information on important issues and what is popular.

Community Connections

A newspaper brings a community together. When we choose to go and pick up a newspaper, we are reading stories about events and people within the community.

“A newspaper is the center of a community, it’s one of the tent poles of the community, and that’s not going to be replaced by Web sites and blogs,” said Michael Connelly, an author.

Karen Limones can be reached at [email protected]theorion.com or @limoneska on Twitter.