School walk-out is a protest opportunity students should participate in

Editorial Photo credit: Jaime Munoz

Editorial Photo credit: Jaime Munoz

Editorial Photo credit: Jaime Munoz

On March 14 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., a nation-wide school walk-out will take place at elementary to college campuses and it is our duty to walk out as well.

In the light of all the school shootings that have been happening over the past three years and especially in 2018, young students and feminists have grouped together, planning a walk out in schools on March 14.

Just like the Women’s Marches that were planned on Facebook after President Donald Trump was elected, these walk outs are being planned online after the Florida school shooting on Feb. 14. The event already has 16,000 people interested and another thousand attending.

According to the coordinators of this event, which includes Sacramento Women’s March coordinators, this Facebook page is a “call for a National Walk-Out for 17 minutes at all schools, from elementary to college. Workers, parents and all community members are invited to participate in solidarity by walking out of work, home or by attending a local event.”

This walk out is in protest of Congress doing nothing more than tweeting “thoughts and prayers” tragedy after tragedy when students are shot and killed while in classrooms.

This walk out has nothing to do with the staff or faculty at Chico State, it has to do with everyone’s safety at schools around the country. I encourage everyone, including the president of the university, to take this protest seriously and participate. Those who don’t agree or who choose to stay ignorant of this issue are telling their peers than their lives are less important that the right to an unnecessary weapon.

Sacramento Women’s March and other activists will also be protesting at the State Capitol on March 14 during the walk out from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., urging state and national government to take action on gun control and protect the community from unneeded firearms in the United States.

As Chico State students, faculty and staff, we are located extremely close to Sacramento and have an obligation to participate in this protest. Anyone who is appalled at the number of shootings, the backlash they create and the inability of our government to do anything about it should stand with Sacramento Women’s March and protest.

All you have to do is stay home. Tweet. If you want, go to Sacramento and march. We have lost the right to stay silent at a time like this and need to take action.

You can see the event page on Facebook and register for the protest/walk out at womensmarchsac.com.

Kendall George can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @kendallmgeorge.

One Response to “School walk-out is a protest opportunity students should participate in”

1. My Name's Jeff on March 1st, 2018 1:20 pm

I will be protesting in Sacramento too! Specifically, I will be protesting actions that have stripped me (a concealed carry permit holder) from being able to defend myself in the event of a shooting on campus. Both the first and second amendments are under assault on college campuses.

• School walk-out is a protest opportunity students should participate in

Catcalling: it’s inexcusable

The Democratic Party has not helped black people

Condoms: the ins and outs

Voting is crucial for this upcoming election

The ‘pink tax’ is making me pink in the face

Off the Record: catcalling and porn

Wildcat on the Street: Does greasy food cure hangovers?

Beware: cultures aren’t a costume

Stay at home ‘baby daddies’