Letters to: Past high school teachers

Photo credit: Briana Mcdaniel

Dear High School Teacher of my past,

Hello, it’s me! I just wanted to let you know that you are absolutely right when you said, “high school is nothing like college, kids.”

Late work is never accepted past the due date, except under very few circumstances.

Also, attendance in most classes is not mandatory, which sucks because you find yourself just skipping classes because there is no attendance office keeping an official record of your absences and reporting back home to mother.

But after skipping, you feel like an absolute idiot because you really just wasted money because tuition is a thing and it is not free. So I am glad I learned how to not be late all the time and show up in high school, at least.

The workload is pretty intense because unlike high school there is not a staff meeting in which teachers come together to plan upcoming exams, projects, etc. so nothing clashes.

Here, it is very common to be smooth sailing for a week, then all of sudden you have three exams all in one week. What a joke.

I feel like college and high school is almost two completely different worlds, everything changes some for the better and some for worst. And no matter how many times you warned us to be prepared, we still struggled.

Sincerely,

A Wildcat.

Danielle Cortes can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.