Men and Women’s Track split ways in CCAA championships

Jason Adams trails behind in 110 men's hurdles at Chico Multi Classic. Photo credit: Lucero Del Rayo-Nava

The Chico State track and field teams finished their season with record-breaking performances at the California Collegiate Athletic Association championships hosted in La Jolla, California.

Women’s track

Adelae Fredeen was the first Wildcat to earn a total of four team points in the heptathlon on Thursday and Friday. The sophomore had a final score of 4,455 points only 49 points short from provisional marks. Regardless of her fifth-place finish, she set a season-best time of 2:29.63 in the 800-meter run on Friday.

Wildcats Allysa Ashburn and Jessica Lee followed with personal records in the long jump. Ashburn beat out Lee for fifth place with a 5.48-meter jump earning four out of the 14 team points collected on Friday.

Lee put up a PR jump of 5.47 meters earning a sixth-place standing and three team points.

The day continued to be a success with Nadia Torkman earning four team points with a personal record of 36.65 meters in the javelin.

Claire Chappell impressed as she participated in the 4×100-relay with a 47.55 making Chico State history as the eighth fastest 4×1 finish. Chappell also had a personal record in the 400-meter dash with a time of 57.06 placing fifth and it qualified her for the final on Saturday.

Even with the strong performances on Friday, the Wildcats had its work cut out and a nearly perfect day was needed to take the championship title. They trailed behind San Francisco State earning a total of 89.5 points on Saturday.

The Gators defended their conference title with a total score of 182 points. UC San Diego followed with a score of 148.5.

The Wildcats earned a collective score of 122.5 earning third place.

Taylor Nevitt broke the Chico State eight-year-old record for the hammer with a 49.71-meter throw.

Savannah Bailey had a personal record on Friday and improved on it throughout the competition setting a new personal best time of 57.64 seconds.

The women will compete next weekend in the Turlock and Los Angeles to earn a place in the National Collegiate Athletic Association championships on May 23-25 in Kingsville, Texas.

IMG_1310.JPG

Sophomore Adelae Fredeen competing in the Heptathlon long jump at Chico Multi Classic Photo credit: Lucero Del Rayo-Nava

Men’s track

For the men’s track team it was a straight shot for the CCAA conference title earning its 15th title in the last 16 years.

The decathlon team was off to a great start Thursday as Alex Davila led the scoreboard and the rest of the Wildcats were in the top six halfway through the events.

Davila had an impressive new personal record of a 1.88-meter clearance in the high jump.

Jason Adams also PR’d in the high jump, 400 meters and 100 meters.

Chico State had to post impressive marks in its next 13 events that took place on Friday. In all 13 events, every Wildcat made provisional marks and was invited to compete in Saturday’s final.

Davila stayed consistent earning his second consecutive second place for the CCAA championships and NCAA championships provisional marks with a personal record of 6,366 points.

Adams had a personal record of 5,708 points with his PRs in 100 meters, 400 meters, high jump, pole vault, 1,500-meter, and discus.

Overall, there were four Wildcats that earned individual conference titles.

Tyler Arroyo came into the CCAA finals to take the high jump for the second year in a row,

Eddie King won the 5,000 meters for the second time in a row, Jack Johnson won the 3,000-meter steeplechase and Lance Huber won the pole vault.

31 Wildcats scored points, a total of 21 earned All-CCAA honors with finishes of third or better and 24 scored five or more points.

Joseph Ilaoa was the team’s leading scorer with 15 team points, Teddy Kassa kept up on the leaderboard with 13 points, Wyatt Baxter earned 12 points and Hasani Barrett racked up 11.5 points.

King’s 5,000-meter made Chico State history and was a tough battle as he took on No. 4 in the nation, Ruben Dominguez. King did not let Dominguez phase him and finished the race 1.45 seconds faster than Dominguez bringing the title to Chico for the 18th time.

The men’s team anticipate remaining on the leaderboards in the NCAA championships hosted in Kingsville, Texas on May 23-25.

Lucero Del Rayo-Nava can be reached at [email protected] or @del_rayo98 on Twitter.