AS Elections: Mia Sanchez-Bejar runs for executive vice president

Mia Sanchez-Bejar. Photo courtesy of Sanchez-Bejar.

Mia Sanchez-Bejar, a junior majoring in cellular and molecular biology, is running for executive vice president in the 2023 Associated Students general election.

Holding a position such as AS vice president is Sanchez-Bejar’s paramount goal as she seeks the ability to facilitate the betterment and organization of her department.

Sanchez-Bejar spent the last two years as a student senator for Chico State’s College of Natural Sciences. However, she yearns to further her influence to better serve the members of the community she represents.

“I chose executive vice president because I know I will be able to give it my all,” Sanchez-Bejar said.

As a current student senator, Sanchez-Bejar has learned the intricacies involved in student government and plans to use what she has observed to expand on the relationship between her department and student engagement.

“When I became senator, I wanted to rebuild that disconnection from the school and staff, to the students,” she said. “I want to focus on engagement to rebuild our sense of community.”

Aside from her involvement on campus, Sanchez-Bejar was involved in her high school’s student government, and was president of the water polo team, a position she was proud to hold.

As vice president, Sanchez-Bejar also wants to promote diversity and inclusion throughout her community. As a Latina woman in STEM, she hopes to provide representation for students of all backgrounds.

Sanchez-Bejar is also a volunteer in the Chico community doing what she can to help others.

“I have been volunteering at the Shalom Free Clinic here in Chico for the past year, which has given me real world experience in my field of study,” she said.

“I want to become a familiar face for all, no matter what college you are from.”

Mia Sanchez-Bejar will be running against Kyleigh Davis.

Voting will begin on April 4 at 8 a.m., and will end at 8 a.m. on April 5.

For more information on the AS general elections, go here.  

Timothy Adams can be reached at orionmanagingeditor.com.