• Molly Myers, managing editor of The Orion, sticks out her thumb on 9th street in Chico, California. Screenshot taken from The Orions video on hitchhiking.

Hitchhiking in Chico: a woman’s perspective on trust and adventure

• Student Isaac Potkin introducing his arrangement of Indiana Jones during the wind ensemble concert. Taken by Jessica Miller on April 27.

Chico State Wind Ensemble gives cinematic performance

• Chico State pitcher Amelie Valdez celebrates with first baseman Destiny Sevilla. Taken by Aaron Draper

Wildcats softball closes out season, celebrate senior day

• One of the many painted denim squares featured throughout the Denim Day Resource Fair and Museum. Taken by Nadia Hill on, April 24.

WellCat Safe Place hosts Denim Day Resource Fair and Museum

• Aspiring photojournalist Jessie, played by Cailee Spaeny, in “Civil War” sits on the ground holding her camera as rebels walk by with hostages.

‘Civil War’ raises questions about journalistic ethics

Hungry WildCat Food Pantry aims to expand food diversity

The Basic Needs center launched a survey April 5 to ask students what foods they want to see in the pantry
Entryway to the Hungry WildCat Food Pantry with a sign showcasing what items are available to students and faculty. Taken by Jessica Miller on April 8.

The Hungry WildCat Food Pantry sent out a mass email survey regarding cultural food preferences to all students and faculty on April 5 from the Basic Needs Center

The Basic Needs Center aims to help Chico State students struggling with housing insecurity, financial crisis and food insecurity. 

One way they provide food assistance is through the Hungry WildCat Food Pantry which is available to all Chico State students and staff. 

The “Feeding Diversity” survey takes less than five minutes to complete and is completely anonymous. 

“By stocking culturally relevant foods in the pantry, Chico State Basic Needs can help alleviate food insecurity and ensure that everyone has access to nutritious food options regardless of their cultural background,” Leah Slem, Basic Needs manager, said. 

The Cross-Cultural Leadership Center and the Associated Students Committee for Social Justice and Equity collaborated with Basic Needs on the survey prior to it being sent out last week. They will continue to collect survey responses until April 12. 

The AS Committee for Social Justice and Equity plans to help sponsor culturally relevant foods to purchase for the pantry.

This project is planned to launch before the end of the school year but will continue into fall 2024. 

Jessica Miller can be reached at [email protected].