• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

Men aren’t entitled to women’s bodies

Illustration by Rachel Dugo.
Illustration by Rachel Dugo.

If there’s one thing in the world I can’t stand, it has to be a catcall.

As a young female college student living in Chico, it’s become apparent that the only time it’s safe to walk through town is with a large group or accompanied by a male.

It’s outrageous to think women can’t even walk down the street to Safeway without getting verbally harassed or simply honked at. Even at parties, I find myself having to stay close to my boyfriend just so guys don’t feel the right to grab or dance with me.

I believe this sense of entitlement comes from a male’s inability to accept getting rejected.

There have been multiple occasions where I’ve witnessed a girl get called a slut or whore if she denied a guy. At that point, I think the only way a guy will make up for his loss is if he values himself more than the opposite sex. This usually means that a girl will be considered too stuck up for not wanting to accept his offer.

Let’s not forget the horrific Isla Vista shooting that involved several students from UC Santa Barbara. Elliot Rodger’s violent actions sparked a large controversy over misogynistic views about women in general.

Men who have a sense of entitlement need to understand that it isn’t anyone else’s responsibility to be attracted to them, show them attention, and most of all, it isn’t any girl’s responsibility to throw herself at guys.

The only person responsible for making a male’s life enjoyable is that man himself.

Whether it is a gun control issue or a spoiled, entitled kid, women shouldn’t face the threat of violent acts if they choose to deny a guy. It shouldn’t go as far as having to shoot up a school for men to realize women should be treated with the dignity and respect they deserve.

Veronica De La Cruz can be reached at [email protected] or @Veronica_dlc on Twitter.