Mixed heritage diversifies student body

diversity1web.jpg
Illustration by Miles Huffman

The percentage of the world population that comes from mixed heritage is increasing with the birth of each new generation.

Unless native to America, the founders immigrated from one of six other continents. America’s forefathers identified with single ethnic groups based on their ancestry.

With this came patriotic pride.

But later on came slavery and segregation.

Yet centuries of mixed ethnicity and multicultural relationships have helped steer the human race away from the ignorance that has historically been the root of so much evil.

But parts of the world still perpetuate slavery and segregation. Some regions of the globe are still predominantly inhabited by one ethnicity and still value individual colors or races over others.

However, it also holds true that the United States is a cultural salad bowl, and in being so more accurately represents the world’s diversity than other countries.

We are not simply American. We are Native American, Asian-American, African-American, Mexican-American, Italian-American and so forth.

Some people now reject questions of race and color on government issued documents, such as the census, because so much of the population identifies with more than one race.

We have such an eclectic background that color should now be irrelevant.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the number of people who identify as two or more races grew by 32 percent from 2000 to 2010, and many of those multiracial groups increased by 50 percent or more.

The increased diversity indicated by national census numbers during the last decade mirrors Chico’s diversification.

In fact, Chico State has become a prime representation of our nation’s diversity. According to Chico State Public Affairs and Publications, students of Chico State “come from 43 nations, 34 states and two U.S. territories.”

As the spring semester kicks off, I urge students to take a look around as they wander the halls and corridors of campus. Notice people. Ethnically, Chico State has a comprehensive student body.

All play a role in the diversification of mankind.

Accept it and work to promote it.

Miles Inserra can be reached at [email protected] or @m_inserra on Twitter.