Students embrace solo Valentine’s Day

Kiara Rickson
Kiara Rickson, first year pre-nursing major, is spending her first Valentine's Day single in five years. Rickson said she is excited to explore the holiday without the limitations of a relationship. Photo credit: George Johnston

Many students dread the thought of being single on Valentine’s Day, but there are many ways to make this holiday a blast without being in a relationship.

Single Chico State students provided four different options on how to make this season of love exciting for those who may be experiencing it solo.

1. Love is not just for a significant other.

Hannah Eiler, sophomore international relations major, believes that Valentine’s Day can be a day of depression or a day of liberation. Although Eiler does not have one specific partner to share this day with, she believes it is a great day to celebrate the love of friends and family.

“(Valentine’s Day is) a time to be single and actually enjoy it,” Eiler said. “It doesn’t have to be about couples, just about love in general.”

Eiler plans on spending her Valentine’s Day drinking wine with her friends and watching a funny movie, she said.

Malik Wilson, first year theater major, thinks that Valentine’s Day can be celebrated in a wide range of ways.

“It goes for any relationship,” Wilson said. “Whether you are gay or straight or you just want to send a card to your mom, it works.”

2. Spread the love to others.

In the swoon of all things pink and heart-shaped, many may want to feel the love for themselves. Although happily single, Wilson still wishes for the perks of having a Valentine.

“I have to watch other people get cards and gifts from their loved ones,” Wilson said. “But, I mean, if someone wanted to drop a little candy in my basket, I wouldn’t be mad.”

There are other ways people can spread the love, too. For Eiler, social media can be a good way to communicate positive vibes to others.

“I usually send out a Facebook message or text to the people I care about.” Eiler said. “Saying, ‘Hey, I love you,’ even if it isn’t romantic.”

3. There are no limitations when being single.

While Valentine’s Day may be an important day for couples, it can also be a turning point for many newly-single people.

Kiara Rickson, first year pre-nursing major, will have her first solo Valentine’s Day in five years and is excited to hang out with her other single friends.

“Hanging with my friends without boyfriends should keep me busy,” Rickson said.

She is excited to explore Valentine’s Day without the limitations of a relationship, she said.

4. Valentine’s Day can be a day of self reflection.

Wilson said that Valentine’s Day can be a negative or positive experience depending on perspective. Reflecting on oneself and taking time to appreciate the important people in one’s life can be essential to a successful Valentine’s Day, he said.

“It could be a day to love yourself,” Wilson said. “And I don’t have to pay for a gift, and I don’t have to pay for dinner.”

Many Chico State students have altered the way they are viewing Valentine’s Day by getting excited to dedicate the day to something special apart from a relationship. Single students should learn to embrace the holiday instead of dread it.

“(It’s) a day not only for couples,” Wilson said, “but a day to show yourself, your friends and your family how important love is.”

Alisa Thorsen can be reached at [email protected] or @alisathorsen on Twitter.