’Cats tie Cal Poly Pomona in double overtime

After a stretch of disappointing losses, the Chico State women’s soccer team carved out a 1-1 tie against Cal Poly Pomona Friday.

The draw marks the first of two road games for the Wildcats this weekend, with a much-anticipated rematch against UC San Diego slated for Sunday morning.

Off an assist from midfielder Megan Tabler, defender Carly Singer broke the game open early for Chico State, snagging her team’s first and only goal with only 5:01 elapsed in the first half.

Chico State implemented stifling defense throughout the remainder of the half, keeping Cal Poly Pomona’s offense at bay and limiting the home team to only six shot attempts in the first.

But Cal Poly Pomona bolstered its offense in the second half courtesy of a clutch header from defender Lauren Miller with only 59 seconds remaining in regulation.

The goal kept the Broncos alive to force two overtime periods, but neither team could find the offensive rhythm to break the tie.

The Chico State women’s soccer team started their season with a respectable 3-1-1 record but has struggled ever since, losing four of its last five games heading into Friday night’s match-up.

The Wildcats will try and keep the ball rolling this Sunday at UC San Diego. It will be the first meeting between these two teams since their September 20th contest that ended in a tie. The game starts at 11:30 am.