Women’s soccer team says goodbye to 4 seniors

Senior defender Cassi Scroggins fights off her opponent for possession of the ball. Photo credit: John Domogma

The Chico State women’s soccer team had a 12-5-2 season, went 8-3-1 in conference play, led head coach Kim Sutton to her 200th win and will now say goodbye to four of its most seasoned players.

Seniors Cassi Scroggins, Ella Fries, Nicole Roberts and Jojo Smyth are leaving the ‘Cats after their long and successful careers.

“It’s always tough to lose a player, but we’re happy that they gave us all they did and I wish them the best,” Sutton said.

RobertsWEB.jpg

Senior midfielder Nicole Roberts. Photo courtesy of Chico Wildcats.

Roberts played on the team for four years and has played both the midfielder and forward positions. She played in all 19 games for the ‘Cats this season and a total of 59 games during her Chico State career. Roberts was responsible for four goals, five assists and 11 points in her time at Chico.

Despite the longevity of Roberts’ career, she easily remembers her fondest memory to be during a game against UC San Diego. Roberts believes this game to be her most important, as she won player of the game for her performance.

Although Roberts is leaving the program, she expressed no concern for her team, believing them to be champions who will find a way to win.

“They might need to find someone to replace or step up, but they’ll find it,” Roberst said. “I’m sure they’re going to do very well next season.”

Scroggins also played on the team for four years and has played 72 games for Chico State. During her time as a Wildcat, Scroggins scored two goals, three assists and seven points.

Scroggins is sad to leave the program after spending such a long time as a ‘Cat, but she believes that her experience working with a team was one of the most important things that shaped her experience at Chico State.

ScrogginsWEB.jpg

Senior defender Cassi Scroggins. Photo courtesy of Chico Wildcats.

Like Roberts, Scroggins believes the program will find a way to succeed despite losing so many of its starting players.

“I was lucky that I got to be a part of this team, and even though some of us are going to leave, they’re going to keep fighting and winning,” Scroggins said.

ScogginsWEB#1

Smyth has been on the team for only two years, but has had a massive impact on the team during her time. Smyth played in 27 games during her time as a Wildcat and was a prominent player on defense.

While Smyth has full faith in her team to continue its success, she wants to give her teammates one piece of advice .

“I just hope all of them stick with it and never do anything less than their best, because if they give it everything they’ve got, then they’ll be great,” Smyth said.

While four of the ‘Cats will be leaving this season, they wish their team the best of luck and take away valuable experiences of teamwork and perseverance from their time as Chico State athletes.

Kenta McAfee can be reached at [email protected] or @Kentamcafee on Twitter.

One Response to “Women’s soccer team says goodbye to 4 seniors”

1. Mike martini on December 31st, 2015 12:00 am

Great ladies! A huge part of a team that will miss them, I will miss u all! I hope to see u all in the future! Hugs from me!!!!

• Women’s soccer team says goodbye to 4 seniors

From Chico State student to setting MLS history: Christian Wondolowski

Men’s soccer season ends in the first round of nationals

Chico loses in final minute of overtime during conference tournament.

CCAA title hopes dashed in penalty kicks

Chico State downs UC San Diego in first playoff match

Men’s soccer successful on senior day

Women’s soccer finishes season strong on senior day

Chico State men’s soccer manages seventh shutout victory

Women’s Soccer back on the road to Victory

Freshman goalkeeper provides spark for women’s soccer