“Rape trail” no more; Chico bike pathway to have cameras installed

Called the

Called the "Rape Trail" by Chico State students, camera surveillance systems will soon be installed in this area Photo credit: George Johnston

Michelle Zhu

Pedestrians and bikers entering Chico State from the bike pathway running through Big Chico Creek and West Sacramento Avenue may feel more safe on the path in the near future.

The Chico City Council on Feb.16 pass a motion introduced by Chico Police to install a camera surveillance system along the pathway.

The project will cost around $19,000 to implement, and annual camera maintenance will cost roughly $900. Signs will be placed to notify people the pathway is under surveillance. Costs will be supported by donated funds.

At the council meeting, Dan Herbert, director of Off Campus Student Services and Katie Simmons of the Chico Chamber of Commerce spoke out in favor of the installation.

Oliver Montalbano, a Chico State student, also agreed the trail is dangerous and believes it could be a huge benefit for the students.

In the past, even with added lighting, it has been difficult for police to monitor the path since it is blocked by the railroad tracks and fencing. Police hope this new camera system will help improve the safety of this area.

Michelle Zhu can be reached at [email protected] or @mmichellezhuu on Twitter.