Our personal lives are private

Tara Miller
    Tara Miller

Social media has taken away most aspects of our personal lives. Even though it’s nice to be connected to the rest of the world, there comes a time when the line needs to be drawn and we need to put our feet down on how much of our lives we put out there for all to see.

For me, it was nice having my life out there, but as I got older, I started to realize that there are things in my life that people don’t need to know about. For instance, people don’t need to know every detail of my relationship as soon as I go public with it on Facebook. Not everyone needs to even know that I’m in a relationship.

Another example is when people advertise their every waking moment. I have to admit, I’ve done this several times. But I’ve come to realize that people don’t need to know or care what I had for breakfast or when I’m going to the bathroom.

There are aspects of our lives that need to be kept a bit more private, such as relationships and what we do every second of the day. Things like these don’t need to be advertised to the world so openly. We all have the right to choose what we want everyone to see, but there comes a time when things don’t need to be kept to ourselves.

Tara Miller can be reached at[email protected] or @chicojournalist on Twitter.