Wildcat of the Week – Haley Gilham

Haley Gilham is the pitcher on the Chico State softball team. Photo credit: Caitlyn Young

Senior pitcher Haley Gilham is making her name known this season after a dominant start with a 9-0 record and an ERA of 0.70. The softball team is currently undefeated sitting at 17-0 on the season. Gilham currently holds the school record for single-season wins at 23 and she is only three wins behind the current career pitching record which is 59 with more than half of a season to go. Ultimately, she and her team have one thing in mind and that is to win a National Championship.

Q: When did you first start playing softball?

A: I started playing softball when I was four, actually even before I started school. Softball has always been a huge deal to me and my family. It’s been a getaway from everything.

Q: Have you always been a pitcher?

A: Actually no, I started out as a third baseman and then I got into pitching later on but it was never my primary position. My primary was third and also right field. Once I started getting recruited then I became primarily a pitcher.

Q: How do you feel after such a solid start to the season?

A: The start of the season has been a huge ordeal and we can’t be more thankful about how great we have been performing between the team and myself personally as a senior it’s my last year and we want to do the best we can.

Q: Do you feel any pressure on yourself?

A: Oh yeah, there’s always that huge pressure. You know last year, we did really well and coming into this year, the start of it being really good, the pressure has always been tremendous especially as a pitcher. Everything is on you and everyone is looking at you and criticizing every pitch that you do. You never know. But having the team there to back me up has been a huge help.

Q: Do you have any favorite players?

A: I would have to say Monica Abbott and definitely Cat Osterman, they’re both two of the great pitchers to play the game.

Q: Has softball taught you anything over the years?

A: Softball has definitely taught me many life lessons. Hard work, dedication, and obedience with being able to work with a team. Not everybody can work with a team. It’s a hard characteristic to acquire, so I would have to say that’s one of the best things I’ve learned.

Q: Do you have any routines or rituals before or after a game?

A: Before each game, I always take a 5-hour energy and some Ibuprofen to get me ready.

Katalina Santamaria can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_sports on Twitter.