Billed to the very end

Photo credit: Jaime Munoz

This time of year brings a lot of celebration. whether it be graduation, a superior grade in a hard class or just relief over the end of semester classes, most people have something to be excited for. However, at the end of spring semester, especially for graduating seniors, this season of celebration can tamper with transitional fees. Even if you are applying for graduation, you know the struggle of unexpected fees connected to accomplishments.

To many, it may seem that graduation is more of a hassle than a happy time with friends and family, mostly because of the money that it takes to walk across the stage. This brings up a conversation about an already high tuition, talk of increase campusfees and future tuition increases as well. Some would believe that if we are already paying so much to go to school, at least graduation costs would be covered or reasonable, not nearly $100 just to apply.

It’s not only applying for graduation that is expensive, either. Hiring photographers, booking hotels for family and getting dresses, gowns and many other tedious costs that add up to a lot over time. According to USA Today, many colleges make a profit off of graduation, with a small chunk of the funds going to the actual graduation and the rest going directly into the school’s bank account. Although it’s not certain if Chico State does this as well, it is worth considering.

These funds are unnecessary and put a burden on students who have already paid tens of thousands of dollars for an education, only to be charged until the last moment they receive a diploma. For schools all around the country, it’s sending a message to students that universities more invested in making a profit off their students rather than preparing them for success in the future. Still, perhaps all we can do is complain. It’s doubtful that these schools will even take what we have to say seriously.

So, as graduation approaches and you are preparing your bank account for the damage it will have to take in order for you to get that $40,000 piece of paper, know that you are not alone in your frustration. Don’t worry, your three jobs will help to reverse the dip in your bank account. The real struggle begins when student loan bills start to come in the mail. Maybe you can use your diploma as a blanket?

Kendall George can be reached at [email protected] or @kendallmgeorge on Twitter.