Honey Run Covered Bridge: Historic Hangout Spot

Honey Run Bridge is often rented out for wedding ceremonies Photo credit: Courtney Chapman

Courtney Chapman

Chico seems to be quite the hub for historic points of interest with over 27 listings on the National Registry of Historic Places. The NRHP is responsible for listing historic and prehistoric places in the United States that are worth preserving. One of these places just so happens to be Chico’s very own Honey Run Covered Bridge.

Originally built in 1886, Honey Run Bridge is the last surviving tri-span covered bridge in the nation and one of the only covered bridges left in California. It was not originally built covered, but due to wanting to protect the bridge from future damages, the cover was added in 1901.

IMG_6682.jpg

Honey Run Bridge is considered one of the many historic treasures in the greater Chico area Photo credit: Courtney Chapman

The bridge is built over Butte Creek halfway in between Chico and Paradise and is located at 1670 Honey Run Road in Chico.

Honey Run Road is very long and winding. It’s a beautiful drive, but drivers should be cautious of how fast they are driving due to the many blind corners. The road runs almost parallel with Skyway and is a straight shot to the bridge from the Skyway exit.

No longer open to vehicles, it is a common area for historic observers, weddings and swimming in the river.

In an effort to preserve the historic value of Honey Run Bridge, the Honey Run Covered Bridge Association was founded in 1965 and is responsible for making sure the bridge is in good upkeep. The HRCBA asks for a $5 donation in order to park in the small parking lot in front of the bridge. This money helps with costs of upkeep.

There are many spots along the river to soak in the sun, as well as easily accessed trails to walk on.

IMG_6687.jpg

The view from inside Honey Run Bridge overlooking a common hangout spot along the river’s edge Photo credit: Courtney Chapman

A few things to remember when hiking or swimming around the Butte Creek and Honey Run Covered Bridge area:

• Watch out for rattlesnakes as they are very common in the Northern California area
  • Staying hydrated is always a good idea
  • Wear close-toed shoes when hiking around tall grass
  • Sunscreen to protect against sunburn
  • Sunglasses
  • Know where you are going, the cell phone reception is very spotty

It’s cool to know that we have such a unique piece of history that is easy to get to just outside the city limits. See for yourself and go check it out!

Tune in starting in August as the outdoors column returns.

Courtney Chapman can be reached at [email protected] or @courtneychaps on Twitter.