Career fair connects students with potential employers

Employers talked to students about potential internships and job openings at the Bell Memorial Union Wednesday afternoon. Photo credit: Julian Mendoza

Julian Mendoza

The career and internship job fair welcomed all Chico State majors to the Bell Memorial Union auditorium to talk to over 100 different companies looking for new hires.

Students came to the fair dressed in professional attire, ready to present themselves to potential employers.

“This is our last career fair of this semester, so it’s kinda like our last-ditch effort for students who are looking for jobs or internships come summer,” said Jeffrey Harrington, a Chico State career adviser. Harrington stated that many of those in attendance were students who were graduating in May looking for summer jobs and underclassmen looking for internships.

IMG_1297.JPG

A map listing all the companies participating in the career fair, showed where to find them Wednesday afternoon in the Bell Memorial Union. Photo credit: Julian Mendoza

According to Harrington, students could find jobs ranging from police officers to corporate sales specialists and behavioral sports specialists.

Micheal Cordova, a business administration major, was looking for a Summer internship position. Cordova liked the career fair and felt he benefited from it.

“It’s definitely helpful in the fact that you get to speak to people and hear what their different companies have to offer,” Cordova said. “At the same time, sometimes you find stuff that is more interesting than you thought it would be and then at the same time – sometimes I’m not always interested in the companies that are here.”

Harrington and Cordova said that students would benefit from checking out the companies online so they know how to properly introduce themselves.

“Then, when you come you can have a direct approach to talk to the handful of employers you might be interested in, instead of being overwhelmed when you come in trying to talk to 100 people,” Harrington said.

A LinkedIn photo booth was also outside of the main entrance to the auditorium where students were able to have quick access to the photos that were taken of them.

“We use your cellphone, take a photo with all our lights and backdrop, so that you have an immediate photo on your phone for your LinkedIn,” Harrington said.

IMG_1295.JPG

The LinkedIn Photo center allows for instant head shots using the students phone for personal use Wednesday afternoon at the Bell Memorial Union. Photo credit: Julian Mendoza

Harrington said that it is never to early to come to a career fair and that freshman should not be discouraged. He stated that coming to the career fair would only better prepare students for their future job interviews and internships.

Julian Mendoza can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @JulianMTheOrion.