Faces in the Crowd: Former professor tutors, cheers for baseball team

keaveny.jpg
Madeline Keaveney, 68, has been watching and tutoring the Wildcats baseball team for the past 15 years.Photo credit: Nicholas Woodard

Meet Madeline Keaveney.

Keaveney, 68, is a retired communications studies professor that happens to be a dedicated baseball fan.

Her favorite teams are the Boston Red Sox and Chico State Wildcats.

Keaveney, originally from Boston, moved to California in 1974 to teach at Chico State she’s caught a few games since then.

“I’ve been coming to games for the last 15 years,” Keaveney said. “I serve as a volunteer tutor for the team, and I just love baseball.”

Keaveney loves baseball so much that she made the trip to St. Louis to watch the Red Sox and Cardinals face off in the World Series this past fall. After a pair of games in St. Louis, she hopped on a plane to Boston for the series-clinching sixth game.

When she’s not rooting for Boston or Chico State, Keaveney spends times with her 8 year-old granddaughter and occasionally serves as a substitute teacher.

“I’m awaiting my second granddaughter in about two months,” Keaveney said. “I do needlecraft, I exercise. I’m enjoying retirement.”

Coming out to Wildcat games gives Keaveney the chance to catch up with old friends and watch the players she tutored.

“It differs from year to year, but I know most of the players,” she said. “ It’s nice to see someone play that you know.”

Nick Woodard can be reached at nw[email protected] or @nwoodard25 on Twitter.