• Student Isaac Potkin introducing his arrangement of Indiana Jones during the wind ensemble concert. Taken by Jessica Miller on April 27.

Chico State Wind Ensemble gives cinematic performance

• One of the many painted denim squares featured throughout the Denim Day Resource Fair and Museum. Taken by Nadia Hill on, April 24.

WellCat Safe Place hosts Denim Day Resource Fair and Museum

• Aspiring photojournalist Jessie, played by Cailee Spaeny, in “Civil War” sits on the ground holding her camera as rebels walk by with hostages.

‘Civil War’ raises questions about journalistic ethics

• Seared salmon nigiri in a base of spicy ponzu sauce that is a sneak attack on the taste buds. Taken by Jessica Miller on April 25.

Sake sushi: almost average

What is The Big Dipper?

Image by Kit Beauchamp

It’s The Orion’s new satire column.  You can find it under ‘features.’ 

Webster’s dictionary defines satire as “writing that exposes or ridicules conduct, doctrines, or institutions either by direct criticism or more often through irony, parody, or caricature.” 

The role satire plays is twofold: It serves the purpose of providing thoughtful commentary, critique and criticism on topical and pertinent issues and areas of importance. It should also be entertaining and humorous. 

Much like the larger umbrella of journalism, satire is also an extension of the watchdog role of the press. Satire is fun, but it is often necessary to get across a message in a different light. 

Notable examples of satire from other news outlets include The Onion, Clickhole, The Borowitz Report in The New Yorker, National Lampoon and many other venerated institutions. 

Satirical articles published through The Big Dipper are often meant to highlight larger issues. However, the content of the articles, including but not limited to people, places, things, quotes, events and more, should be regarded as fictitious. 

Have ideas for satire? Write in below! 

Please don’t sue us. 

Kit Beauchamp can be reached at [email protected]