Healthy diet crucial to high performance

The actions an athlete makes in the kitchen are just as important as the actions they make on the field. Without a healthy diet, performance will not be at it’s highest level.

Cody Levar, a junior health administration major, leads a very healthy lifestyle to accompany his soccer career at Chico State.

“We as humans do not make our own energy,” Levar said. “We need to properly hydrate and eat before every game and practice.”

Athletes need to keep a well balanced diet because their body is an essential tool to participating in athletics at the collegiate level.

Keeping a balance of calories, protein, fat and carbohydrates is a very important part in fueling the body for play. Frequently eating a variety of lean meats, Greek yogurt, cheese and legumes for protein, vegetables and fruits for simple carbohydrates along with an adequate amount of water and fluids is the best way to keep energy levels up to an athlete’s performance level.

Jessica Varela, a junior nutrition major and Chico State cross-country and track runner, said that eating the right foods is a way of life and helps boost her athletic ability.

“My nutritious lifestyle helps me perform my best because it provides me with the proper nutrients my body needs,” Varela said. “Eating the right foods also helps my body fight off fatigue, inflammation and prevents the breakdown of muscles. It also increases lean muscle, fights off sickness and increases energy levels.”

A strict diet is important for the performance levels of junior volleyball player Kristyn Casalino, who is an exercise physiology major.

“Nutrition really effects physical and mental activity,” she said. “It is very important to pay attention to what you eat while playing at this level. Our bodies are under serious physical stress and the best way to take care of it is by fueling it with beneficial foods.”

Along with eating balanced meals, caloric intake is important in keeping up endurance and energy level. Depending on the size of the athlete and the sport, caloric intake can differ from around 1700-3000 calories per day. If one does not eat enough of the right foods, they are bound to burn out much faster than those who are well nourished by proper nutrition habits and practices.

Gail Bassett, a senior women’s soccer player and nutrition major, explained what it is like if she doesn’t eat properly.

“If I don’t eat properly, my body doesn’t have enough energy and I will burn out within 15 minutes of warmups,” Bassett said. “There’s no way I’m going to be able to play a full 90 minute soccer game, which I’m expected to do, unless I fuel my body like an endurance athlete, sprint athlete and strength athlete would. I need to be able to balance all of those and find what works best for me.”

Jessica Varela feels that healthy nutrition is key to the success and longevity of collegiate level athletes.

“Eating healthy is way of life,” she said. “I like to put the best quality foods in my body. It makes me feel good when I’m eating nutritious foods that are helping me fuel my body and overall they help me perform at my best level.”

Jordyn can be reached at [email protected]