Students will benefit from Covered California

Covered California is a great resource students should take advantage of. It offers health insurance plans to California residents at an affordable price.

California residents can look online for plans or find out if they are eligible for Medi-Cal. Covered California also provides face-to-face assistance for those who are unsure if they are eligible for the program.

YARRRGGGStudents need to find out if they are eligible soon, because the deadline to sign up for Covered California and  be insured by Jan. 1, 2014, is Dec. 15.

In 2014, the fine will be $95 a person, or 1 percent of yearly income, whichever is greater. The fine for lack of coverage for each child is $47.50. These fines increase substantially in 2016. If you’re caught without insurance in 2016, it will cost an individual $695 or 2.5 percent of the person’s income.

Students should find out right away what coverage works best for them, because the costs will continue to increase in the future.

People who are insured can avoid high medical expenses as well as have a sense of security knowing that they are covered. In turn, this will help workers have fewer sick days.

The best part about Covered California is people can choose any plan that meets their needs.

Students need to ask their families if they are eligible to become part of Covered California or find out from their employer if they are qualified. If their families or employers are unsure, they need to go online and see the specific qualifications.

You don’t want to have a medical bill in your hand that you are unable to pay because you decided not to have medical insurance.

Illustration by Liz Coffee.