‘Cats take first game of doubleheader

Junior Dillon Kelley focuses on the pitcher in a game against Academy of Art. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Over the weekend, the Wildcats took on Cal State San Marcos on the road. The ‘Cats dominated both games in the doubleheader. The first game had the final score of 9-1 and the second at 7-4.

In the first game of the doubleheader, the Wildcats scored three runs in the second inning, giving them the lead from the start. Even though the Cougars scored a run in the bottom of the fifth inning, the Wildcats managed to hold them there.

Chico State scored one point in the top of the fifth, but had a great rally in the top of the ninth. This put the Wildcats’ final score at 9-1.

C.png
Junior Clayton Gelfand winds up to throw a pitch against the Academy of Art. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Junior pitcher Clayton Gelfand took the win over Cal State San Marcos, making his record this season 6-2. He pitched for five innings and only allowed one earned run.

Credited with the save was senior pitcher AJ Epstein. He got nine batters in a row to strike out or force out at the end of the game.

Hitting leaders of the game included junior infielder Casey Bennett, junior outfielder Sonny Cortez, junior catcher Dillon Kelley and junior outfielder Josh Falco. Bennet hit three RBIs and hit three of the five times at bat. One of those hits was a triple.

At the end of the day, the Wildcats took home two wins. Even though the second game was a comeback, they still managed to stay calm and pull through.

The ‘Cats are coming back home to face Cal State Dominguez Hills starting April 9.

Danielle Pubill can be reached at [email protected] or@daniellepubill1 on Twitter.