Wildcats split doubleheader against UC San Diego

Gonzalez.jpg
The Wildcats softball team started conference play on the road against UC San Diego as it split a two-game set losing the first game 2-0 and winning the second game 2-1.

Game one saw it’s only two runs scored in the first inning by UC San Diego.

Caitlin Brown reached on a fielders’ choice which scored in teammate Callie Grant to make the score 1-0. The second run of the inning scored on a fielding error by first basemen Desiree Gonzalez.

Both of the runs UC San Diego scored were unearned.

Alex Molina pitched the entire game for the Wildcats going six innings while only giving up three hits and striking out two.

The Cats’ did manage to outhit San Diego with singles coming from Gonzalez, Sammi Ridgway, Tori Zimmermann and Emily McEnaney.

The Wildcats evened things up in the second game coming away with the 2-1 victory.

Like the first game, UC San Diego scored first. This time, however, the run was earned. Callie Grant hit a single up the middle scored in Amani Proctor.

In the 4th inning, the Wildcats tied the ballgame with a single by Kayla Barber that scored in Katy Wegner.

The go-ahead run came in the 5th inning off a single up the middle by Gonzalez that scored in Scotie Walker.

Cheyenne Sandoval started the game for the Cats’ going 4.1 innings on 5 hits and 2 strikeouts earning her first win of the season.

Molina who pitched the whole first game on 106 pitches came back in and saved the second game by throwing another 33. That was Molina’s first save of the season.

The Wildcats are currently 3-4 overall and play another doubleheader Saturday against UC San Diego.

Angelo Boscacci can be reached at [email protected] or @Boscacci6 on Twitter.