Comic nerd life gets expensive

meganmannopinion.jpg
Megan Mann

When it was announced that the “Merc with a Mouth” was going to be getting his own movie, I was so stoked.

Deadpool has to be one of my favorite comic book characters of all time, regardless of the fact that I haven’t read any of his full comics.

That’s right folks, this huge Marvel and DC fan has never owned a comic book in her life.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve read comics before, like at my cousin’s house or snippets on Tumblr, but never a full story arch.

Why? At $4 apiece for the online version, comic books are just too expensive.

Now, before the reader laughs in my blog’s face and moves on to a more serious article, let me explain.

$4 seems like nothing to a super serious comic book fanatic, but when I’ve got bills and tuition to pay, every little extra expense can leave my checkbook nearly empty and me struggling to make it to payday.

And that’s not even close to what I have to pay for the print copies in the store.

Also, why would I need to pay for information that I can easily get from Tumblr and my friends who have easy access to the broad and brilliant universe of Marvel and DC?

Sure, I wish I was rich enough to be able to just go to the store and buy up every issue of Deadpool’s various story lines, but I think I’ll just save the money and delve into the endless world of Tumblr or buy my friends a cup of coffee as a way to catch up before Deadpool’s movie comes out.

Megan Mann can be reached at [email protected] or @meganisthemann on Twitter.