Cesar Chavez Day versus Chico State party culture

Photo credit: Jaime Munoz

Photo credit: Jaime Munoz

Photo credit: Jaime Munoz

There is (probably) not one person on the Chico State campus who is upset about school being out of session on Friday. This three day weekend will be filled with sunshine, late nights and good friends. Cesar Chavez Day is a very popular day among university students to go out, wear sombreros and drink Tequila. Although I’m always down for a house party and some Margaritas, the real history of this holiday should put any drunk sombrero-wearing student to shame.

Cesar Chavez Day was proclaimed as a federal holiday in 2014, according to telesur. This day-off celebrates the legacy of Cesar Chavez, a civil rights and labor movement activist. Chavez co-founded the National Farm Workers Association, participated in walk-outs, fasts, as well as created legislative campaigns and participated in activism for workers’ and immigrant rights in California and the U.S.

So, as a party culture ridden group of young adults, we honor Chavez’s legacy and work by getting drunk at sunrise and culturally appropriating the Mexican dress. That is the most blatant example of disrespect if I have ever seen one. This holiday should be about history, education and volunteer work in honor of this man who changed the lives of so many people in around the country, especially in California.

I know that doesn’t sound as fun as going out with friends, soaking in the sunshine and dancing to good music all night long. Maybe we can come up with a compromise. It doesn’t make you a bad person to go out this weekend and get drunk at 6 a.m. or dance your butt off until 4 a.m. It does make you look ignorant and disrespectful when you do it with a sombrero on your head, mock Mexican language or post pictures on Instagram of you and your friends blacked out wearing ponchos. Don’t do it.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Cesar Chavez Day versus Chico State party culture”

1. Andrew on March 28th, 2018 6:22 pm

I was planning to go to Chico State this coming Fall. The Party Scene sounds FUN!!!

2. Helen Medina on March 30th, 2018 12:13 am

Right on!

3. Dr Martin on March 31st, 2018 7:55 am

Dolores Huerta. Huerta-Chavez day. (Spanish language order of surnames). It’s ok for students to be silly and have fun. I’m certain people consider the ‘source’. However, as a society, we should rename the holiday appropriately, and accurately. In my opinion, this is how we need to respect both the founderS and the movement.
    As for the date, it’s perfectly aligned with spring break. March has too many workdays anyway!

4. John on April 6th, 2018 3:16 pm

Honestly, this narrative of there being a ton of ignorant, sombrero wearing frat boys running around blasting Mariachi music is so false.

During my entire Caesar Chavez weekend, I went to a ton of party events that included many different crowds. Not ONCE did I see the infamous stereotype portrayed as some cultural boogyman here on campus. Nowhere did I see the “Sombrero Wearing Ignorant White Guy”.

If you are going to make a political correctness boogyman, at least have it exist.

5. John is an idiot on April 9th, 2018 5:06 pm

Found the racist who wishes he could get away with wearing a sombrero, but knows he is just a weak little boy who would get his ass beat. So you have to come online and be a coward behind your keyboard. Drop out and go away, this school and community doesn’t want you.

• Cesar Chavez Day versus Chico State party culture

Gender reveals: harmful or celebratory?

Keep Chico state a ‘dry’ campus

Catcalling: it’s inexcusable

The Democratic Party has not helped black people

Condoms: the ins and outs

Voting is crucial for this upcoming election

The ‘pink tax’ is making me pink in the face

Off the Record: catcalling and porn

Wildcat on the Street: Does greasy food cure hangovers?