Wildcat’s split doubleheader with Coyotes

Amanda Flores pitching against Cal State San Bernadino. She went 5.2 innings allowing three runs (one earned). Photo credit: Ricardo Tovar

The 9-2, No. 19, Cal State San Bernadino Coyotes came into Chico Friday looking to show the 14-3, No. 6, Chico State Wildcats that they belonged amongst the best in Division II. What followed was two games that came down to the last at-bats for both teams, a 2-1 win for Chico State followed by a 3-4 loss.

IMG_1973.jpg

Ari Marsh preparing herself for an inning on defense in right field. Photo credit: Ricardo Tovar

Game 1:

Brooke Larson was the story of the game, going seven innings and allowing one run in the first inning, notching nine strikeouts as she earned her fourth win of the year. Opposite her, Amanda Ramirez of the Coyotes kept the Wildcats hitless through six innings.

IMG_1968.jpg

Bailey Akins up to bat against Cal State San Bernadino on Friday. Photo credit: Ricardo Tovar

In the bottom of the sixth, the Wildcats came to life on the offensive side, as Wendy Cardinali capitalized on a Coyote error and sacrifice bunt that left runners on second and third. She smacked a single to left field and scored in Reilani Peleti and Amanda Metzger, and this would lead the Wildcats to a 2-1 win in game one.

IMG_2053.jpg

Hacky sack in between innings to loosen up and keep morale high. Photo credit: Ricardo Tovar

Game 2:

This time around the Wildcats put up runs early as Peleti lead of the second inning with a home run to left. Two more runs would score courtesy of a Wendy Cardinali sacrifice fly that scored in Metzger, and Ari Marsh would later single to drive in Breanna Martin.

IMG_2032.jpg

Angel Lopez taking practice swings between innings to prepare for a pinch-hitting opportunity. Photo credit: Ricardo Tovar

That’s all the offense Chico State could muster, as lefty reliever Anissa Padilla of the Coyotes kept the Wildcats scoreless for four-and-two-thirds innings.

Amanda Flores dominated through three innings, before allowing 2 runs (one earned) in the fourth. She was replaced by Sam Mulock in the fourth with two outs. Sam Mulock was replaced after one-and-one-thirds innings by Amanda Flores after allowing a run in the sixth, tying the game at three.

A triple and base hit by the Coyotes in the seventh allowed them to take the lead 4-3.

IMG_2048.jpg

Bullpen getting loose in case of an emergency pitching change against Cal State San Bernadino on Friday. Photo credit: Ricardo Tovar

Chico State loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh with one out. The makings of a comeback were present.

Until an unexpected turn of events occurred, Akins struck out and Kristin Worley was instantaneously picked off at third. This quick double play gave the second game over to San Bernadino, and the final score was 4-3.

“I trusted who was behhind me,” said Flores. “We didn’t come out on top but I would still trust Bailey, or Claire, or anyone behind me.”

The Wildcats have another doubleheader scheduled for Saturday, March 9 at University Softball Field. Come watch and support your Chico State softball team.

“I’m hungry, like literally and figuratively,” said Flores about tomorrow’s games.

First pitch is scheduled for 11:00 a.m.

Ricardo Tovar can be reached at [email protected] or @rtovarg13 on Twitter.