Chief Feeney Leaves University After Two Years

Hannah Yeager

As of Aug. 2, Chico State Police Chief John Feeney left the force after serving for two years at the university, according to a campus-wide email sent by Robbi D. Stivers, the Vice President for Business and Finance.

Feeney became the university police chief on July 1, 2015, after working for the San Francisco police department, according to the email. He served for two years at Chico State before abruptly ending his position on campus.

Feeney would not comment on his reasons for leaving the department and the University Police Department would not give any comment on the subject.

Lieutenant Corinne Beck recently accepted the role of acting interim police chief until a long-term replacement can be found.

During the two years Feeney served with the university, he introduced outreach events such as Cookies with Cops, where officers would meet with students in the dormitories and talk about what they hoped to accomplish and how the students can stay safe on campus and took steps in making Chico safer for those living within a one-mile radius of campus.

“It’s important to me that we gain and establish that trust between the staff and the students, and the police department here,” Feeney said in a previous interview with The Orion.

Also, during Feeney’s time as the police chief of the department, an agreement was made between the city and university called the “Joint Public Safety Agreement.” This agreement calls for collaboration between the city and University Police to keep off-campus students safe according to a press release from January 2016. This allowed Chico State to respond to off-campus issues.

The agreement was what Feeney had wanted at the beginning of his time at Chico State as stated in a “Chat with the Chief” interview with the University.

There is currently a national search for a new police chief underway, according to the email.

Hannah Yeager can be reached at @Hannah_K_Yeager on Twitter.