The Joke’s on US: Lewis Black comes to Chico

Lewis Black performs as part of a USO holiday show in Aviano Air Base, Italy, 2007. Photo by Tabitha M. Mans (Wikimedia Commons)

Angel Ortega

Known for his angry attitude on stage and his satirical rants, Lewis Black performs in Chico’s Laxson Auditorium in support of his tour, “The Joke’s on US.”

Lewis Black is best known for his political satire, social commentary and his angry rants about history, religion and current events.

The two-time Grammy-winning comedian has released 12 albums in the last 17 years with his most recent, Black to the Future, being released in 2017.

Black is known for criticizing the current presidential administration and Congress, alike. He has expressed his concerns about the Bush and Obama Administrations. With the current president making headlines with his controversial opinions on many political and social issues, Black was anything but reluctant to criticize President Donald Trump as well.

Lewis Black also commented on many other issues including how he believes socialized healthcare is great and how Congress, in his opinion, is incompetent. Black also criticized members of President Trump’s Cabinet, including the Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, Secretary of Energy, Rick Perry and Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Ben Carson.

While on the subject of the town of Chico, Lewis Black complemented on how, as he was walking downtown, he admired the amount of local businesses and the quaint aesthetic of the town.

After his hour-long performance, Lewis Black began his show, The Rant is Due, a show, which is streamed online to fans around the world, where Black answers questions that are submitted to him through his website. Usually done at the end of his act, Lewis Black gives his thoughts and opinions about the concerns his fans have about the current political or social climate.

Lewis Black was well-received by the audience at Laxson Auditorium. Many members of the community gathered in the almost-sold-out auditorium, with some students attending the show as well.

Lewis Black will continue his tour with shows in Los Angeles, Anaheim, and San Diego.

Watch clips of Lewis Black on his YouTube channel.

Angel Ortega can be reached at artseditor@theorion.com or @MrOrtega98 on Twitter.