‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

He's gonna shoot something.

He's gonna shoot something. "The Predator" is in theaters now. Photo credit: imdb.com

Making a good “Predator” movie shouldn’t be difficult. Just have an alien monster chase a bunch of military dudes around until the coolest one is left alive. “The Predator” feels like three different movie ideas jammed into one and it doesn’t pull any of them off well.

If you’re going to make a “Predator” movie in this day and age, you have no choice but to lean into the stupidity as much as possible. This one almost reaches the right level of fun mixed with dumb but doesn’t commit to it fully. In trying to add more heart the writers just put in a bunch of half-hearted distractions.

Some genius in Hollywood decided it would be a great idea to add a little kid to a “Predator” movie. The main character’s son has Asperger’s which apparently makes him a savant when it comes to alien technology. It’s an interesting idea but feels completely out of place in a movie like this. You can have a bunch of military dudes bro-ing it up while they fight an alien or you can have a little kid be the hero. You can’t have both.

The original “Predator” was the quintessential 80’s action movie. Blood, gore, guns, Arnold Schwarzenegger; it had it all. This movie aims for a more clever approach to that formula. Aside from a few moments of solid humor this new take on the sci-fi action movie doesn’t work out. The small talk between characters feels forced and the plot does too much explaining in a movie that doesn’t need explanation. Just have the scary alien monster kill people until someone kills it, it doesn’t get easier than that.

None of these characters leave any lasting impressions aside from Keegan-Michael Key and that’s because even this movie’s writing couldn’t kill his sense of humor. You’ll forget most of these characters even when they’re still on screen. Olivia Munn could have easily been the main character, serving as the Ellen Ripley of the movie. Unfortunately, her character is muddled in this movie’s attempt to do three different things.

I just wanted to watch a fun alien movie and instead I got this confused trip to nowhere. It’s hard to recommend “The Predator” for any reason. Even the action is average at best. If you’re a fan of these movies you’ll probably watch it eventually, but if you’re not a dedicated “Alien” or “Predator” fan then there’s no reason to check this out. This gets two stars because one half of Key and Peele is still pretty alright.

Final Score: 2/5 Stars

Ulises Duenas can be reached at [email protected] or @OrionUlisesD on Twitter.

One Response to “‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong”

1. Diablo Reyes on September 18th, 2018 8:00 pm

I don’t get how you can say you just wanted a fun alien movie. This is not a stand alone movie. This is Predator. A long standing franchise. If it were stand alone, I could see having this perspective, but its not. There is a whole mythology behind this. To go to this film and not understand that, makes me question what you are doing writing a review about it. Expectations should’ve been high, not just out looking for “fun”. As a standalone it might’ve been acceptable, but this went to much for the typical “fun” giving the audience crass jokes and over the top gore that scared no one. Predator 1 and 2 were actually suspenseful and the first one was down right scary at some points. This was a hot mess. The only good recent follow up to any of these 80s movies was Blade Runner. We need that type of Treatment for a predator movie.

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

Barry R. Kirshner Wildlife Foundation remains unharmed after Camp Fire

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

Chikoko variety show presents spectacle for good cause

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

Singer-songwriter Nikki Renaud plans to pursue career in music

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

‘Glorious Sounds of the Season’ is a non-stop holiday spectacular

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

Playlist- Dive into disco with these 10 funky tracks

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

ASP gives students a glimpse into the future

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

Animation Chico captivates with contest

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

‘F is for Family’ is good, unclean fun

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ brings nostalgia for the holiday classic

• ‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong

Student show of artwork presented at gallery show ‘Wanderlust’

‘The Predator’ gets it all wrong