• A person on a stretcher is loaded into an ambulance. Taken by Callum Standish at 9 p.m. March 17.

‘Just panic’ during St. Patrick’s Day shooting

• What I learned from talking to pro-life activists

What I learned from talking to pro-life activists

• Photo of the community art project as of February 2024. Taken by Nadia Hill on ???.

Beyond the doodles: A deeper look at the collaborative canvas on campus 

• Sophomore shortstop Lorenzo Mariani, right, making a tough throw on a ground ball up the middle against Cal State San Marcos. Taken by Nathan Chiochios on Mar. 16.

Wildcats flip the script to take both in doubleheader against San Marcos

Rain or shine, Chico has something for you this spring break

What are you doing for spring break? Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Let’s say you were planning to go home for Spring Break and something came up. Change of plans, you’re staying in Chico and so are those other residents who need to stay or live here.

One of the best things about Chico is the beauty of the nature that surrounds it. If you haven’t taken advantage of this, maybe it’s something to consider. Some people will be at work, but if you happen to find yourself wanting to take a break from studying or just looking for something to do, here are five places you should consider visiting this spring break.

1. Bidwell Park

Take a hike up Bidwell and dip into the cool water at Five Mile or Bear Hole.

2. Climb Mount Shasta

14,162 feet high, beautiful and rewarding. It’s time to let your body and mind relax after midterms by taking a hike and tackling the infamous Mount Shasta. Remember, to take your time and acclimate yourself to the high altitude, according to Newsreview.

3. Take a stroll at Butte College’s nature trail

The Clear Creek Nature Trail is a nice adventure during a sunny day and you learn something along the way.

4. Downtown Chico

If you haven’t explored the city you live in, do it! Take the time to explore what you haven’t seen of Chico State and the specialty shops in the area. There are some shops with adorable dress wear and some with cool comics!

5. Take a trip with Adventure Outings

One of the cool things about this program is that they are always doing something outdoorsy. For this spring break, the program will be offering classes and opportunities to explore new places and meet new people! If you don’t find yourself wanting to do any of those, you can also rent equipment and take your own adventure!

For more info:

REGULAR OFFICE HOURS:
Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday: CLOSED

OFFICE LOCATION:
BMU 008A (in the basement of the BMU)
W. 2nd and Chestnut St. • CSU, Chico

MAILING ADDRESS:
Associated Students | Adventure Outings
California State University, Chico
P.O. Box 7570
Chico, CA 95927-7570

If it happens to be raining, you can still find yourself enjoying some activities indoors. Here are some suggestions you can try:

1. Bidwell Mansion

Take a self-guided tour and learn a little history at another historical landmark in Chico. The Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park is the three-story house of John Bidwell, pioneer, politician and philanthropist.

2. Chico Museum

It’s not a big museum but it has interesting artifacts and covers several themes throughout Chico history. You can find the museum across Chico State campus at the corner of Second and Salem Street.

3. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Tours & Tasting

One of the most famous places in Chico is the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company. Not only are there dishes tasty but if you haven’t had the company tour yet, it’s a must! There’s also a bonus if your 21 and over, you can try different IPAs.

4. Room Escape Games

This place is full of mystery, why wouldn’t it be intriguing to check out? It is literally what you read, an escape room and many have come to love it. This is an interesting location to keep in mind and bring friends along!

5. Catch up on Netflix

If you don’t seem to find yourself wanting to go out, there are always some entertaining TV shows or movies to consider watching or catching up on.

map.jpg
A map showcasing the places to travel in Chico during spring break. Photo credit: Karen Limones

Karen Limones can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.